Ballet photographer Jack Devant
For 20 years ballet, as well as photography, have been my passion. Knowing ballet makes a difference in photos, ‘it makes me a better ballet photographer.
Photo: Mark Olich (Mariinsky)
I understand and shoot mostly classical ballet. I love Vaganova Academy and Russian school in general. My favourite theatres are Mariinsky, Mikhailovsky, Stanislavsky, Bolshoi, as well as Perm Ballet and Kiev Ballet. I work together with artistic and ballet technique adviser Kaja Kreitzberg, currently classical ballet pedagogue, having a ballet career behind her.
I Work Discreetly
I value the emotional experience of the ballet audience. My shooting style and gear is discreet in several ways. My camera is specially hand picked for ballet. Sony a99 is the only low light capable pro-level camera with a stationary mirror and e-shutter, it’s much quieter than all other pro-level camera bodies. I really don’t like to distract during the Swan Lake adagio. My lenses are bright, coming from Zeiss and Sony – it makes it possible to isolate the soloist from the background and shoot dark scenes like Giselle 2nd act and The Kingdom of Shades in La Bayadere. I shoot with a camera muzzle, to eliminate every possible noise. Nobody notices me, nobody hears me shooting the performance.
Contents of my Peli 1510 hard case (from the top left)
- Sirui P-324 carbon monopod, Sirui R-2204 carbon tripod w. ball head, Samsung 512 GB SSD USB3, Dell XPS 13 i7
- Sony G 300 mm F2.8 a-mount + LA-EA3, Sony A7r II + Sony FE 70 – 200 mm F2.8 GM, Sony A7 II + Sony FE 70 – 200 F 4.0 G, Sony FE 24 – 70 F 4.0 ZA, Sony FE 16 – 35 mm F 4.0 ZA, Sony/Zeiss 55 mm F 1.8 ZA
- Rapoo mouse, Sony Vertical Battery Grip x 2, Sony HVL-F43M flash, Blumax twin speed-charger
Fees and Rates
Package “Flat rate”
This is the most used and convenient package if client needs ballet concert photos, both from Gala concerts and full length ballets. Client will receive all watermarked web-resolution photos and print resolution photos with no watermark — typically 25-75 per performance. Cost for the client 1500 € plus flight and lodging cost per two nights.
Licensing Single Photos
- Non-commercial use in social media/internet: free, if watermarked photo is correctly referred to the author
- Editorial use, rights per one photo: 150 €
- Unlimited commercial use: Print/Internet/Outdoor/TV, per one photo: starting from 250 €
Jack Devant, ballet photographer email@example.com
I speak fluent english and russian (Джек Девант)